Reporting to the Director of Digital Content & Social Media, the Managing Editor will produce an award-winning magazine for a growing alumni readership of more than 55,000. The magazine is the flagship publication of the University and will succeed in increasing alumni engagement, pride, and support of their alma mater, and serves as a signature piece that is shared with parents, prospective students, guidance counselors and other constituencies.
The Managing Editor will be responsible for the creation and production of the magazine, as well as its presence on the web and other digital forms. He/she will also be the primary liaison with the Alumni Association and the Office of Alumni Relations and will be responsible for the curation of content by, for, and about alumni across all print and digital platforms.
Major Job Functions:
• Establish an alumni editorial advisory board.
• Serve as communications liaison between Marketing & Communications and Alumni Association.
• Produce and edit magazine content, including profiles, news and major feature stories.
• Write and develop ideas for thought-provoking, engaging and interesting copy that communicates the value of the University.
• Manage vendors, i.e. freelance writers, photographers, videographers, illustrators, etc.
• Manage the editorial and production calendar by assigning deadlines, planning meetings, and keeping copy flowing to design.
• Coordinate and manage print production of the magazine.
• Manage magazine Budget – both forecasting and management.
Essential Job Requirements:
Strong skills in journalism, writing, editing, and grammar; exceptional storyteller; a keen eye for photo quality and design; and an understanding of print production, and digital production.
Familiarity with the online project management tools and software, such as Asana, Basecamp, and Slack. Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite also a bonus.
A Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, or related field, plus previous journalism experience
Understanding of issues in higher education, alumni relations and advancement communications
The University of New Haven is a private, top-tier comprehensive institution recognized as a national leader in experiential education.Founded in 1920 on the campus of Yale University in cooperation with Northeastern University, UNH moved to its current West Haven campus in 1960 and opened its Orange Campus in January, 2014. The University operates a satellite campus in Tuscany, Italy, and offers ...programs at several locations throughout Connecticut and in New Mexico. UNH provides its students with a unique combination of a solid liberal arts education and real-world, hands-on career and research opportunities.The University enrolls approximately 6,800 students, including nearly 1,800 graduate students and more than 5,000 undergraduates – the majority of whom reside in University housing. Through its College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts, and Tagliatela College of Engineering, UNH offers over 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. UNH students have access to more than 500 study abroad programs worldwide and its student-athletes compete in 16 varsity sports in the NCAA Division II’s highly competitive Northeast-10 Conference.