Serves as a public relations specialist working with Michigan State University’s central PR team to create greater appreciation for the value of MSU and enhance the reputation of the university among key audiences. Assists with developing and implementing comprehensive and micro-targeted PR plans to elevate MSU’s reputation and promote ongoing news and happenings at the university related to research, industry news, and faculty/staff/students. Leads major components of initiatives and projects, including but not limited to: developing/writing/editing stories and content for distribution through various channels, pitching national media, drafting messages and media materials and facilitating integration within the larger CABS team (e.g., social media, marketing,etc.).
· Works on multiple projects at one time, ensuring seamless execution and quality control.
· Keeps a pulse on the ever-changing media landscape, industry news, and topic and content trends; provides recommendations on how to apply learnings to MSU’s content strategy to ensure relevant and breakthrough communications.
· Accountable for working closely with supervisor and public relations teams on projects, owning large pieces of executions.
· Drafts media materials including press releases, key messages, Q&A, fact sheets, and engages in brand storytelling through feature writing to be shared on university-owned channels.
· Drafts content for social media and engages with social audiences; takes ownership to adapts stories to be told in a socially-relevant way.
· Applies and demonstrates strong news judgment; has the ability to act swiftly to leverage news and trends in real-time.
· Develops and fosters relationships with producers, reporters, editors and other media contributors across a variety of beats and categories (i.e., news, lifestyle, entertainment, science, health, business, etc.); actively pitches national, regional and local media and generates coverage.
· Works with larger CABS media team to plan, create, and produce stories gathered from campus sources to inform the public on university-related news through fresh and engaging content.
· Monitors and tracks media; develops coverage reports.
· Coordinates special university and media events, which may include working with various groups to capture assets, coordinate media and generate buzz.
· Mentors and coaches student interns.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
· Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Journalism, Marketing, Advertising or Public Relations.
· One to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in public and media relations and/or marketing, advertising, and creative services, including experience managing content for social media channels; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in public relations.
· The ability to translate a variety of complex topics into consumer-friendly stories and media pitches.
· Demonstrates strong leadership and accountability; hasthe ability to work under minimal supervision.
· Has a proven “team player” mentality.
· A passion for earned media relations and a solid understanding of how PR falls within and interacts with the larger integrated communication network (paid, owned, shared).
· A proven track record of writing/pitching news stories to media and securing national coverage in print, broadcast and online media (including social media); experience working with influencers is a plus.
· Experience with visual storytelling through use of photo, video, animations, graphics, charts, etc.
· Strong writing, research and editing skills, with strong knowledge of Associated Press style.
· Experience working in a fast-paced, daily-deadline environment.
· Is currently conducting media monitoring, tracking and analysis.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office and operational knowledge of media database software (like Cision, Critical Mention, etc.).
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Spartans work every day to advance the common good in uncommon ways.Together, we tackle some of the world?s toughest problems to find solutions that make life better?from alternative energy to better food safety to breakthrough medical and environmental applications achieved through rare isotope research.We teach. We explore and we discover. We collaborate and lead. We innovate, inspire, and empow...er. We achieve our potential and create circumstances that help our students and others achieve theirs.We're good at it, and we've been at it for more than 150 years.The nation?s pioneer land-grant university, MSU began as a bold experiment that democratized higher education and helped bring science and innovation into everyday life. The revolutionary concept became a model for the nation.Today, MSU is one of the top research universities in the world?on one of the biggest, greenest campuses in the nation. Home to nationally ranked and recognized academic, residential college, and service-learning programs, we?re a diverse community of dedicated students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.In ways both practical and profound, we work to create a stronger, more sustainable, and more hopeful future for all.