Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, but final deadline is Jan 2. Start date will be Feb 5 (negotiable).
Google Play Newsstand seeks to give every user the information they need and want to know — from essential news stories to deep interests.
As an Associate Editor on Newsstand, you help make sure that our app meets and exceeds our audience’s needs and expectations, including quality, relevance, and timing. The range and deadlines of your assignments vary greatly; however, you are able to curate informative, accurate, and lively experiences in a timely fashion, often at a moment's notice. The role demands discipline, hard work, and quick action. In return, you'll receive enormous satisfaction as a contributor to a high-impact team that provides a critically important service to millions of users.
* Curate articles, stories, and topics into meaningful and engaging user-facing features
* Help maintain a detailed, comprehensive editorial calendar
* Identify new content sources to expand & strengthen Newsstand’s catalog across multiple genres and regions
* Measure success of editorial efforts, via Analytics and other internal tools
* Help evolve manual workflows into automated, scalable processes
* Write documentation for editorial tasks; help inform our editorial policies and procedures
* Fluency in German is required. Additional European language proficiency or fluency is a plus.
* B.A./B.S. required; M.A. in Journalism/Communications preferred
* 1+ years working in a full-time media capacity: reporter, editor, or producer
* Proficiency with professional grade publishing/design tools, publisher front-ends, and CMS’s
* A demonstrated ability to jump into complex workflows and improve them steadily over time
* Deadline driven, including a willingness to adapt hours when necessary to cover important events & stories
* A rock-solid understanding of ethical questions that surround news curation
* An obsessive news consumer across all media, including social, legacy media (print & broadcast) as well as online
* Mindful of what makes great user experiences, from catchy copy to engaging images, GIFs, & videos
* A proven knack for multitasking, communicating with a global team, and maintaining shared tools & resources
* An incredible collaborator who takes fast, critical feedback in stride and steadily improves week after week
* Passionate about a dozen (or more!) cultural phenomena: favorite bands, authors, niche movie categories, emerging trends, and more.
* Adept at switching context from broad, generalist topics to very narrow interests and back again
NOTE: This is a contract role. Position is in Boston/Cambridge only. Relocation costs, if any, will not be reimbursed.
Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
Our company has packed a lot into a relatively young life. Since Google was founded in 1998, we’ve grown to serve millions of people around the world.