Join the MSU IT Communications Team and help empower connections at Michigan State University!
The ideal communications manager is a team player, able to work as part of a fast paced and dynamic team to clearly communicate the broad array of technology tools available to the MSU community. The successful candidate will prepare and execute communication plans and strategies that include written, cinematic, graphic, and digital tactics.
The communications manager will collaborate with IT professionals and project managers who have varying communication needs in support of communication needs of IT projects, documentation requirements, and IT staff messaging. This position reports to the MSU IT Chief of Staff.
• Plans, creates, produces, photographs, edits, records or drafts releases and feature materials for digital communications, media, and publications in order to inform the public and University of issues and events.
• Identifies sources of information, researches, surveys and interviews to obtain information.
• Experience with technical writing.
• Ability to execute communication strategies and campaigns on social media including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Assists with web development and technological enhancements for the unit.
• Attention to detail in the editing and proofreading of documents, emails and other messages.
• Ability to coordinate, curate, and standardize content from many different sources (e.g., newsletter).
• Ability to support graphic and videography needs.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; ability to explain complex technical issues in a way that non-technical people may understand.
• Supports social media goal setting, execution, tracking, and reporting.
• Serves as a liaison with other University departments including University Relations
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Journalism, Telecommunications, or Public Relations; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in public and media relations, composing, editing and publication production; news, broadcasting, and print media, and/or marketing, advertising, and creative services; graphic design; word processing; desktop publishing; web design; presentation; spreadsheet and/or database software; public presentation; or radio production; or computer programming/technology; experience managing content for social media channels; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Marketing communications experience desired.
Application of change management processes and change communications.
Experience using a Content Management System (e.g., WordPress, Cascade)
Experience with blog writing.
Required Application Materials
Provide 3 references.
Bidding eligibility ends on 2/20/18 at 11:55 PM.
Internal Number: 490960
About Michigan State University
Spartans work every day to advance the common good in uncommon ways.Together, we tackle some of the world?s toughest problems to find solutions that make life better?from alternative energy to better food safety to breakthrough medical and environmental applications achieved through rare isotope research.We teach. We explore and we discover. We collaborate and lead. We innovate, inspire, and empower. We achieve our potential and create circumstances that help our students and others achieve theirs.We're good at it, and we've been at it for more than 150 years.The nation?s pioneer land-grant university, MSU began as a bold experiment that democratized higher education and helped bring science and innovation into everyday life. The revolutionary concept became a model for the nation.Today, MSU is one of the top research universities in the world?on one of the biggest, greenest campuses in the nation. Home to nationally ranked and recognized academic, residential college, and service-learning programs, we?re a diverse community of dedicated students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.In ways both practical and profound, we work to create a stronger, more sustainable, and more hopeful future for all.