The Writer/Multimedia Content Producer writes stories and creates multimedia content and video productions for the web. Writes, shoots and edits video; records audio, takes still photographs and posts content on the Northwestern University website that is also used on University social media channels.
Please note: This job covers the news of Northwestern and requires occasional assignments and work on nights and weekends.
- Works with University Relations Media Directors and VP for UR to conceive, develop and produce written and multimedia content for posting on the Northwestern website and other internal channels. Coordinates with internal communications editor, GM and UR staff members to integrate video, audio, podcasts, interactive features, event coverage and other elements into packages for use on the web and social media channels.
- Writes, shoots, edits and posts video content on the web, for Northwestern’s news sites and in the University’s e-newsletter to campus.
- Writes stories and news releases for Northwestern’s news sites and in the University’s e-newsletter to campus.
- Assists Global Marketing team managing Northwestern’s institutional social media presence. Creates content as needed for all social media channels—Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, etc.
- Help coordinate projects in Media Relations, such as undergraduate research stories and student/faculty profiles and work with Global Marketing on content creation, including videos or photography for social media.
- Copy editing for Media Relations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in Journalism, Communications or related field; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Experience shooting and editing video, taking photographs, recording audio and posting on web.
- Expertise in video content creation, writing news stories and social media best practices and.
- Ability to shoot and edit video, shoot and edit photographs, record and edit audio, write strong copy and integrate all elements into digital media packages.
- Familiarity with all current social media platforms and interest in using the latest platforms, apps and technology to keep Northwestern’s communications efforts as relevant, widespread and effective as possible.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines consistently.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, patience, teamwork skills and a sense of humor.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong knowledge of AP Style and grammar.
- Experience working with Final Cut Studio Suite and Adobe Creative Suite, including Premiere and Photoshop.
- Knowledge of HTML and web technology software, including content management software.
- Familiarity with digital video camera, HDV camera, digital still camera, audio recording equipment.
- Master’s Degree in Journalism, TV Production, Integrated Marketing Communications or related field.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.