About the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University:
The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University develops brave leaders who inspire growth in people, organizations and markets. Based just outside of Chicago, the school is a global leader in management education, renowned for its distinctive thought leadership and pioneering approach to learning. Kellogg offers an innovative portfolio of programs: four Full-Time MBA programs including the accelerated One-Year MBA and Two-Year MBA options, and joint degree programs with the engineering and law schools; a Part-Time MBA Program; the premier Executive MBA global network; and extensive non-degree Executive Education programs.
About the Job:
The Communications Specialist assists with key day-to-day functions and high-priority projects across the communications team. The specialist will have the opportunity to hone his or her skills through writing enterprise news stories; helping to manage the school’s relationship with the media; and contributing to reporting and measurement associated with these functions.
Please Note: Evening and weekend hours are occasionally necessary when workload or event coverage requires it.
- Coordinate editorial calendar, including serving as secretary for weekly editorial meetings and overseeing follow-up items
- Support coordination of editorial planning and content development for external and internal channels
- Write regular “Kellogg News” stories for the Kellogg website that cover broad, strategic updates about the organization
- Write, edit and post stories and announcements for the staff intranet that cover broad business education, organizational performance and people priorities
- Partner with communications team to promote the Kellogg School reputation through effective proactive and reactive media relations (enterprise and thought leadership)
- Lead research to aid the external communications team in making strategic decisions regarding media inquiries, speaking engagements and reporter relationships
Coordination, measurement and reporting:
- Support coordination and tracking of communication team priorities and progress against them
- Drive weekly and monthly media reporting and measurement against the external communications team’s strategic goals
- Support regular metrics reporting on intranet site/ internal content performance
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Strong organizational, project management and workflow coordination skills
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Communicates effectively and professionally one-to-one and in small groups
- Self starter who takes initiative and proposes new ideas and solutions
- Working knowledge of social media
- Exceptional fluency in MS Office suite (including Power Point), English-language grammar and Associated Press style rules
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- 1–3 years’ experience in an entry-level marketing, communications or public relations role.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Familiarity with scaled nonprofit and higher education environments.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.