The Assistant Director, Public Relations will work under the supervision of the Senior Director, Marketing and Communications, and collaboratively with College faculty, staff, and students to coordinate the positive public perception of PGCC through traditional media—print and broadcast—as well as online via social media. The position requires familiarity with the use of content management systems for web and blog postings as well as excellent writing, editing, grammar, and proofing skills; and the ability to work with campus constituencies to develop favorable external and internal news and stories for the promotion of the College. The position will also assist with the monitoring of social media and campus crisis communications.
- Bachelor’s degree plus two years of experience in public relations: writing press releases and web news content; successful record of pitching news and coordinating national and local media coverage; editing and proofreading; tracking media hits; sharing news, videos, and photos via social media; and placing news content on websites and/or blogs; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years minimum supervisor experience.
- Master’s Degree Preferred.
CRITERIA: The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be interviewed. Other information and observations made during the interview process may be considered in the selection process. Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application. Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below for this position.
- Excellent English grammar, writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Ability to write in news release format as well as for web and social media, incorporating visual elements for publicity.
- Ability to work with diverse campus constituencies to anticipate, research, and develop positive news, stories, and coverage for the College.
- Knowledge of how to pitch and interact with media representatives, editors, and reporters.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment on various PR projects.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality when working to manage the University’s internal and external reputation.
- Ability to monitor campus trends and social media in light of local and national trends and advise Senior Director of Communications and Marketing of emerging issues and potential crises.
- Proficiency with social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, and others.
- Ability to organize and administer long- and short-term projects on deadline.
- Knowledge of MS Office, particularly word processing, email, and spreadsheet functions.
- Ability to travel between campuses.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
http://pgcc.peopleadmin.com/postings/5594 or http://jobs.pgcc.edu
Applicant Instructions: Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the minimum qualification and criteria listed because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based.
Prince George’s Community College is a smoke and tobacco-free college.
Prince George’s Community College supports and embraces cultural diversity, understood as the creation and promotion of an inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for everyone. We accept and value differences, including differences in age, race, national origin, ethnicity, religious affiliation, political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic background, and ability/disability. We strive for growth and success for all of our students, employees, business partners, and the community.
Prince George's Community College is an Equal Employment Opportunity Affirmative Action/Title IX/Section 504/ADA Institution. The Chief of Staff, Room 130, Kent Hall coordinates the college’s program of nondiscrimination.