The ideal candidate will possess the following skills/qualifications:
- Understanding of and experience working in the field of communications, digital media or journalism, working knowledge of copyright and other applicable laws pertaining to publications and the media.
- High-quality writing, editing and proofing skills as evidenced by clips/portfolio of past professional work and effective interpersonal skills, including strong speaking, listening and interpretive skills. Must successfully complete SF State writing and editing test.
- Work independently and take initiative to develop projects, locate resources, solve problems, anticipate issues and obtain information. Demonstrated ability to work with Web-based technology including social media; identify, develop and produce content for a range of media and audiences.
- Preferred college degree to be a bachelor’s in the field of English, Communications/Journalism, Marketing or related field; 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of communications, journalism or digital media
- Experience in higher education communications
- Work in print, broadcast or online journalism
- Track record of success in pitching to and placing stories in media outlets and creating digital content
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin or Cantonese a plus.
- Familiarity with multimedia trends, technologies and capacities.
- PC/Mac and productivity-software literacy.
- Juggle multiple assignments under shifting and tight deadlines.
SF State offers a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
SF State is an Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act employer and has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity.
For the full job description and to apply, visit
Please note that cover letters and resumes must be uploaded together in a single document. The Job ID is 6331.