| Posting Summary: The Assistant Art Director for University News serves as a graphics/digital media specialist, provides departmental leadership on and is accountable for visuals and presentation of UVA Today, The Daily Report, and institutional social media channels. Ensures visuals have accurate, compelling presentation and supporting information, reflecting continuity with the brand identity developed and implemented by University Communications in Illimitable, marketing campaigns and all collateral. This position will regularly provide data visualizations and info-graphics to accompany stories. Provides backup service for execution of key deliverables including the UVA Today Daily Report, construction and maintenance of story pages and the UVA Today site, and participates in planning and execution of special projects such as subscriber drives and custom audience campaigns.|
- Produce information graphics for all University News platforms
- Produce photo illustrations for University News stories
- Select, size and brand photographs and graphics for UVA Today, The Daily Report, owned social media channels
- Manage the University News use of stock images
- Attend daily story line-up meetings, make selections and recommendations for art to accompany each story
- Proof The Daily Report, and review story pages to ensure art is sized and positioned properly
- Ensure that art for every story is selected, sized and placed correctly within stories
- Proactively review University News content plans to identify opportunities for information graphics, photo essays, photo illustrations or other visual assets
- Design and create daily or as-needed visual elements for social media posts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other platforms in line with brand guidelines: In-brand pull quotes, images optimally for sharing by platform, stand-alone social graphics or images, etc.
- Develop display elements (cover images, header images, etc) within brand framework for social media display
- Stay attuned to digital storytelling trends and techniques and help implement new technologies or approaches for products and platforms, such as browser push notification, Google AMP mobile standards, API publishing for Apple News and Facebook Instant Articles, etc.
- Participate in photo request process from writers to photographers and plan best ways to illustrate stories
- Produce or reformat University News information graphics for use on Illimitable digital and Illimitable print platforms
- Produce or reformat University News information graphics for use in marketing collateral such as one-page information sheets and leave-behind products, or for use in marketing or advertising campaigns
- Provide leadership to identify and solve for presentation and distribution problems or opportunities (i.e. custom styled alt-tags, HTML5 tags, search engine optimization, etc.)
Required Minimum Level of Education: *Degree Required
Required Specific Degree/Training: Bachelor's degree
Preferred Minimum Level of Education: *Degree Preferred
Required Minimum Level of Experience: Some - up to 4 years
Required Specific Experience: Bachelor's degree in graphic design or equivalent training/experience and at least two years of experience in graphic design for digital platforms. Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and major social media platforms. Demonstrated ability to format compelling, effective, accurate graphics for electronic, mobile and social platforms. Some experience with content management systems. Some proficiency with email marketing and database management. Attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple tasks while meeting deadline is essential. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment involving writers, photographers and editors. Demonstrated ability to conceive, gain approval for, and execute compelling visual assets.
Preferred Minimum Level of Experience: Some - up to 4 years
Preferred Specific Experience: Experience working with a variety of media sources and formats preferred, particularly in the areas of web and print design.
Experience with web/mobile code such as HTML5, JQuery and CSS. Photography experience helpful. Work in a higher education and/or news media setting preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: - Conversant with current design and digital trends with experience executing advertising and marketing concepts across various print and digital platforms.
- Collaborative, deadline-driven, willing to take creative direction and able to manage several projects at once in a competent manner.
- A highly creative, conceptual thinker with knowledge of design techniques, tools and principles including competence in graphic design software including: Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Demonstrated understanding of page layout, typography, color theory and choice/application of assets such as photography, illustration and other digital graphics)
- Experience in the creation of marketing materials that are in keeping with an established brand identity, articulate creative strategies and maintain high visual standards.
- Familiarity with the creative process including the development and ownership of a project from concept through final production and knowledge of prepress and printing processes/procedures.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Infographic and/or multimedia capabilities are preferred such as experience designing within a Content Management System (such as Drupal) and responsive web and mobile platforms.
Required Computer Applications: Experience with Adobe Creative Suite required