| Location: Unity, ME Category: Administrative Posted On: Fri Mar 10 2017 Job Description: |
The Associate Director of Media Relations at Unity college develops and implements communications activities that support the College's strategic goals, including a proactive media relations program to create a national brand, including human interest stories. Also creates and disseminates institutional priority messaging to the media and the Unity College community. Supports various aspects of internal and external communication and marketing. Specific duties include:
* Develop and implement a three year campus media relations plan to meet the strategic goals of the college, including metrics for measurement of effectiveness.
* Respond promptly and effectively to media requests.
* Work extensively with campus departments to garner newsworthy media relations stories.
* Cultivate relationships with faculty, staff and students as sources for news and feature stories.
* Identify, screen and interview students, alumni, faculty, staff, and other constituents for media interviews.
* Serve as primary contact for media relations.
* Develop, maintain, and monitor policies and procedure related to media relations.
* Develop story concepts and write compelling press releases and media advisories to place in local, regional and national news media.
* Build and maintain relationships with media personnel and compile and maintain media contacts list/database.
* Send media releases and pitch stories to appropriate media outlets.
* Write and edit material for internal and external constituents to include news media, college publications, announcements, the website and other outlets as needed.
* Ensure appropriate photographic and video coverage for publicity and publications.
* Monitors all media clippings and information sources for Unity-related stories.
* Advise college senior leadership related to crisis communications and help to implement crisis communication plans.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Communications or related field plus a minimum of 3 - 5 years increasingly responsible professional work experience in developing and implementing public relations, media relations, and marketing communications strategies, plans and programs.
Must have polished writing skills including ability to write across different writing platforms such as for social media, print and digital media, as well as quick copy for advertisements, short writing for the Web, releases for pitching and media, speech writing, technical writing.
Detail oriented skills in copy-editing, grammar, AP (Associated Press) style, spelling, punctuation, proofreading and proposal review are required as well as excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
Must have the ability to function in a collegial team atmosphere and establish effective working relationships with a wide variety of people including media representatives and with on-campus news sources such as faculty, administration, staff, students, and alumni.
Ability and willingness to work with students and others from diverse political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical and academic abilities.