Patch is looking for reporters and editors based in NYC and elsewhere to cover major breaking news. We're looking for passionate, resilient, and creative self-starters eager to help build a new business. If you pride yourself on being open to new experiences and methods, Patch could be the place for you to make your mark.
The ideal candidates are newshounds and leaders who want to make a difference in people's lives, find and share great stories, and connect people to compelling, relevant and useful information. A job at Patch offers a unique opportunity to help build a new, definitive, national platform to supplement more than 1,000 hyper-local Patch sites.
Preferred candidates are:
- passionate about journalism
- love to break news
- enthusiastic, competitive and driven to produce quality work
- capable of turning out a clever, smart headline on the fly
- organized and can prioritize (some editing experience is helpful)
- thrive in a goal-oriented environment
- savvy about social media
- eager to learn
On a daily basis, our Breaking News Desk:
- spots scoops, breaks stories and reports them out in real time
- writes headlines; selects photos; practices quality SEO
- works collaboratively with colleagues and independently when necessary
- studies Google Analytics and other metrics tools to monitor performance and improve tactics
- uses digital tools, such as CrowdTangle and Dataminr, to keep tabs on happenings and organizations
Please include a cover letter, resume and links to your work.
Job Type: Full-time
Reporting: 6 years
Journalism: 6 years