Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting is looking for a new addition to our growing team dedicated to supporting collaboration and engagement with local newsrooms and communities across the country.
As a part of our emerging initiative Reveal Labs, the engagement and collaborations manager will play a key role in capacity-building and engagement initiatives rooted in areas such as Mississippi, New Jersey, Chicago and California. You’ll work on projects that bring artists and journalists together to create new venues for journalism, host listening sessions with newsrooms and their communities to identify areas for collaboration, and help create new models for public engagement around investigative reporting.
The person in this role will design inventive engagement and impact strategies while training local newsrooms on best practices and collaboratively testing participatory models for in-depth, community-based journalism.
We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, has big ideas and knows what it takes to guide healthy, efficient collaborations. This role is equal parts community organizer, listener, instructor, partnerships manager and creative adviser. You must be able to juggle a variety of ongoing projects and look for ways to tie them together. The ideal candidate thrives on experimentation with a team spirit – someone who likes to stay organized and on track but is open to serendipity and exploring opportunities outside the box.
This position will report to CIR’s director of community engagement and is based at our headquarters in Emeryville, California. Significant travel is required.
Key responsibilities are as follows:
- Design and execute on-the-ground community engagement initiatives and events inspired by Reveal’s reporting, as well as projects from our partner newsrooms.
- Lead trainings, workshops and conversations with partners on community engagement and impact measurement.
- Work with Reveal’s editorial team to coordinate collaborations around investigative reporting with local partners.
- Build and grow relationships with local partners and look for new collaborative opportunities.
- Train newsrooms on the use of CIR’s Impact Tracker.
- Create and publish documentation on Reveal Labs initiatives and measure their impact.
- Manage timelines and deliverables for engagement initiatives and collaborations.
Our ideal candidate has a mix of the following:
- Experience managing complex professional relationships and partnerships between organizations or community groups.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Direct experience organizing and facilitating events.
- At least three years of experience working in a newsroom or community-based organization.
- An active social media presence and understanding of different social media platforms.
- Ability to facilitate difficult conversations.
- Understanding of how to build relationships with partners, local stakeholders and communities of interest, both online and off.
Sound like a good fit for you? Fill out this form, and we’ll get in touch. If you have any questions, email Cole Goins, director of community engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIR is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to diversify our workforce.