Audience/Community Engagement, Content Creation, Social Media
4 Year Degree
Alabama Media Group is adding a social media specialist to help manage our growing social brands, which have a combined 1.6 million followers. You won’t just post content to a social account in this role. You’ll reimagine content for every social platform. We experiment, we launch new brands and we always think about new ways and places to reach audience. You will shape social strategies, support online communities, manage multiple social channels, analyze audience data, engage with audience, find user-generated content and create native social content. This role requires someone who is enthusiastic about sharing ideas, collaborating with staff and reacting to changing trends in audience engagement.
In addition to our main AL.com channels, we have social brands focused on Southern culture, Auburn and Alabama football, and we’re in the process of launching our newest brand around accountability journalism. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, Pinterest and more.
Please send a resume, cover letter and work samples to Elizabeth Hoekenga Whitmire, director of social media, at email@example.com.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage branded social media channels and understand the voice for multiple brands, which include news, culture, sports and more.
- Proactively seek new ways to engage our audience across multiple platforms and champion specific tactics throughout the organization.
- Continuously analyze performance of social content; re-evaluate tactics based on metrics and share experiences across the organization.
- Keep abreast of trends relative to audience engagement in the industry and communicate them throughout the organization. Innovate new tactics based on trends in the industry and our audience and quickly adjust based on results.
- Engage users by creating visually appealing, social-first content.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field or demonstrated equivalent experience
- Be a self-starter and a multi-tasker with the ability to work independently under deadline pressure
- Demonstrated active social media presence
- Solid news judgment and understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and grammar
- Social media monitoring and analysis skills
- Desire to be part of and add to cultural conversations
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Experience producing written and visual content, including video
Alabama Media Group is a digitally-focused news and information company that combines quality journalism from The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Mobile's Press-Register and The Mississippi Press with up-to-the-minute access of AL.com. Alabama Media Group provides innovative ways to inform, connect and empower the people of Alabama in the communities we serve.
Alabama Media Group is a part... of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the U.S. reaching more than 40 million consumers through its 12 local news and information websites that rank #1 among local media in their respective markets, and more than 30 newspapers. Our affiliated websites and newspapers are well known for their award-winning journalism. Advance Local is part of Advance Publications, along with Condé Nast and American City Business Journals.