The Better Government Association (BGA), an award-winning government watchdog organization based in Chicago, seeks a full-time Engagement Editor to work hand-in-hand with our team of investigative journalists and policy analysts to put the BGA’s impact-driven work in front of the most people possible.
The BGA has a vibrant social media community with tens of thousands of followers, healthy partnerships with the leading media outlets in Chicago and beyond, and a growing suite of digital tools to further increase engagement — you will manage and maximize these, from packaging the outreach for long-term investigations, to creating new avenues for people to explore our evergreen service-based content and tools.
This person will report directly to the Director of Digital Strategy, but work closely with reporters, investigative directors — seasoned journalists who work to expose corruption and hold public officials accountable; and our policy analysts, and the policy director — experts in legislation and advocacy who work to protect good-government standards (freedom of information, open meetings, etc.) in lawmaking spheres.
The Engagement Editor lives online, has a natural ability to craft smart headlines and stimulate social media conversation, understands what it means to build an organization’s brand online and over social streams, a full understanding of re/packaging stories for social media, email and other platforms, a sharp eye for design and solid editing skills, and will make it their mission to bring more (and returning) eyeballs to the BGA.
The BGA is a nonprofit organization that combines investigative journalism, advocacy, and civic engagement to promote good government at the local, county, and state levels in Illinois. Its offices are located in Chicago.
- Manage execution and strategy for BGA social media streams for content (investigations, columns, policy analyses), track results, and manage broader online community.
- Developing distribution plans for stories
- Collaborate with editors and reporters and analysts on story packaging, partnerships, headlines, images, etc.
- Building and executing a plan to best use our social media platforms, and leading all posting and conversation management, e.g. compiling news of the day links to go out on Twitter throughout day in an effort to celebrate great work done by partners
- Using all forms of media, social and otherwise, to augment our reporting by finding people who could be sources for stories, those affected by our work and others who would share our stories.
- Building boosted/promoted campaigns, as needed and per engagement budget
- Always: Responding to questions, interacting, monitoring, social listening
- Analysis of data: what's working, what's not, monthly metrics, sharing with other depts. as needed
- Building strategies for improving our social media streams and identities in the long-term, and helping our reporters and analysts find new ways to use social media and the Open Web as effective reporting tools.
- Key participant in media management, building new strategy around content partnerships, content sharing, and BGA media appearances
- Build and manage key relationships
- Manage Impact Network for sharing stories with influencers, potential partners
- Data guru who digs in, finds problems and opportunities, and advises program managers on possible content strategies