The Content Specialist seeks story ideas, conducts interviews and writes feature and news stories for a wide variety of communication channels and media, including magazines, newsletters, recruitment materials, websites, social media and more. Manages various projects (videos, digital signage, brochures, etc.), as assigned, taking a project from conception to completion. Directs work of photographers, designers and other personnel involved with projects.
Please note: Occasional nights/weekends required for coverage of medical school events.
- Seek story ideas, conduct interviews and write feature and news stories for print and electronic Communications media channels; occasional photography of events and story subjects.
- Manages a wide variety of Communications projects, such as videos, brochures and digital signage, as assigned.
- Write, edit and proofread copy for magazines, newsletters, print materials, websites, and all Communications materials; input and format email newsletters.
- Direct work of photographers, designers and others involved in projects.
- Others duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as journalism or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Three to five years writing, editorial and publications experience.
- Working knowledge and experience of online/web/interactive communication techniques.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to research and write about technical matters for a general population.
- Demonstrated advanced communication and presentation skills.
- Must have organizational skills and the demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Must be self-directed and able to work in a team-based environment with minimal supervision.
- Advanced degree in an appropriate field.
- Knowledge of higher education, medical science and/or healthcare preferred.
- Experience with multimedia storytelling/photography preferred.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.