| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is a world renowned organization dedicated to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research, and education.
The mission of the Marie-Josée and Henry R. Kravis Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO) is to promote precision oncology through genomic analysis to guide the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients. The CMO brings together clinicians and scientists throughout MSKCC to conduct large-scale translational research involving molecular characterization of patient tumor specimens in order to identify correlations between genomic features and clinical outcomes.
The Knowledge Systems Group within the CMO develops platforms which deliver genomic data from all technologies offered by the CMO to investigators and clinicians. We are looking for a Software Engineer to support the cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics. The cBioPortal is a highly successful tool, developed at MSKCC and based on open source software, that supports the CMO as well as thousands of cancer researchers and clinicians around the globe.
- A software engineer with an interest in biology & cancer genomics research with clinical applications.
- Someone who thrives in a dynamic environment with changing priorities.
- A person who enjoys working in a team, is self motivated, and can solve problems independently.
- Able to learn new technologies and programming languages as needed.
- Familiar with Agile and Scrum methodologies.
- Work closely with team members and engineers from other groups within the center to build and maintain ETL pipelines which connect the cBioPortal to various genomic and clinical information systems.
- Work closely with team members, engineers from other institutes, and open source community developers to refactor or extend the cBioPortal backend codebase to support evolving analysis or visualization needs.
- Design and implement web services as required.
- Develop tools to support the efforts of data curators within the Knowledge Systems Group.
- Rapidly troubleshoot and solve problems with existing software systems.
- Participate in a development team which continually seeks to increase performance and is open to adopting new software engineering techniques and practices towards this goal.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and 2+ years of software development experience, or a Master’s Degree.
- Programming experience in Java and Python.
- Knowledge and experience working with relational databases, preferably MySQL.
- Experience working on GNU/Linux workstations, familiarity with bash scripting and utilities like grep and sed.
- Experience as a member of a software developing team which uses modern source code version control and build systems such as Git/Github, Maven, and Jenkins.
- Master’s Degree in Bioinformatics with emphasis on engineering.
- Knowledge and experience working with Spring Framework, including Spring Batch and Spring MVC.
- Experience with Agile software development and participating in a Scrum team.
- Prior involvement or interest in cancer genomics.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.