The Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) seeks a dynamic strategic communications professional with policy experience to lead an initial team of three and coordinate the organization's overall communications strategy. Reporting to the Vice President of Government & External Relations, the Director of Communications and Public Affairs will work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop and implement communication strategies to add positive value to the brand of Christian higher education, broaden the impact of CCCU’s programs and oversee organizational messaging and constituent services.
The CCCU is a professional association of 180 campuses in 20 nations whose mission is to advance the cause of Christ-centered higher education and to help our member institutions transform lives by faithfully relating scholarship and service to biblical truth. The Council coordinates professional development opportunities for administrators and faculty, manages U.S. based and international off-campus student programs, provides public advocacy for Christ-centered higher education and manages cooperative efforts among its member campuses (www.cccu.org).
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage external relationships to ensure media and PR coverage surrounding CCCU policy items, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Collaborate with senior leadership to develop communications strategies that will broaden policy reach and deepen impact of policy initiatives and member programs and services
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual and quarterly communications plan across the varied audiences in collaboration with the CCCU team and constituents
- Oversee the generation of digital media content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action
- Develop and refine the CCCU’s "core" messages to ensure organizational consistency
- Coach, train, and support executive staff, including the President and Vice President for Government & External Relations, on public communication for media outlets and CCCU press releases
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material for the President and Vice President for Government & External Relations as needed
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness, as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and CCCU website
- Serve as executive editor for the organization's website
- Develop and manage a team of communications staff to achieve ambitious goals, follow through on plans, and sharpen their own skills
- Build relationships with media to advance the CCCU’s brand and messaging opportunities of the CCCU
- Design and implement a 36-month communications plan led by the CCCU, in partnership with members and allies, designed to promote the value of Christian higher education and to counter negative narratives surrounding Christian higher education on topics such as accreditation, religious freedom, the liberal arts, the cost of college, the benefit to the Church and society broadly of a Christian college graduate, etc. This project should work with people of both parties, all faiths and no faith, as well as members and church leaders.
- Galvanize data and research that proves the value of Christian colleges in their areas and distribute and publish data in support of our schools. This could also require commissioning new research and liaising with those researchers.
- Bring together networks of people for the benefit of the CCCU across denominations, faith traditions, and political orientations.
- This effort should result in at least one quarterly print piece in a national publication with commensurate local, social, and public media redistribution.
- Other duties as assigned.