Location: New York, NY
Start Date: July 2017
Storyful is the world’s leading social news and insights agency. Our team discovers, verifies, acquires and delivers the eyewitness content that shapes news agendas, moves markets and sparks tomorrow’s conversations. Our 24/7 team uses proprietary technology and old-fashioned journalism skills to ensure our newsrooms partners are given the most relevant, newsworthy and accurate content and insights from the social web.
We have a special team of journalists that has grown tremendously in the past few years, and with growth comes the need for focused management, clear strategy and improved communication. It is with this in mind that we are hiring a senior editor in New York to manage our expanding US editorial team and our coverage in the US time zone.
We are seeking an editor who can bring detail-oriented quality control to a newsroom that is always on deadline. Storyful’s entire reputation rests on being correct in what we report and the copy we deliver to our newsroom clients. The ideal candidate will be someone who has experience editing in a breaking news environment, with sharp attention to style, production standards and perfect grammar, spelling and punctuation. This person will also have experience working and multitasking within a content management system.
You should understand the challenges facing digital and broadcast newsrooms and the solutions that new media can bring. You should be able to work closely with fellow journalists across continents, topics and time zones to ensure the best quality coverage is reaching our clients around the globe.
Responsibilities will include:
- Line management of the US editorial team, which includes in-office and remote employees.
- Maintain partnerships and relationships with key US newsroom clients and social platforms as directed by management.
- Set daily news priorities and manage the granular, minute-to-minute coverage decisions on the US shifts.
- Oversee the standards, verification, style, tone, approach, balance and quality of Storyful’s journalism across platforms and projects during the US time zone.
- Monitor Storyful’s feeds for emerging stories and undertake advanced searches to discover original content
- Write clean, concise and accurate copy for publication on all our platforms
- Oversee the quality of alerts and distribution of content on the Newswire, MRSS, @StoryfulPro, newsletters and more.
- Maintain quality control and assignments of incoming client requests
- Ensure complete handovers between shift managers (Dublin to U.S., U.S. to Australia/Hong Kong, etc.).
- Maintain daily flow of stories and outreach via Trello.
- Ensure daily deliverables are met across the US news and trends units
- Manage training and ongoing development for incoming staff, interns and contractors as needed.
- Liaise with sales to ensure editorial is best supporting trial clients and newsroom partners with their editorial needs.
- And any other duties set out by editorial management team