Ballinger | Leafblad is proud to present the following information on behalf of our client, Luther College, in its search for Vice President of Marketing and Communications
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications provides strategic direction and oversees programs that enhance and promote the image of Luther College. This is a high-impact role at the institution and works closely with key internal and external constituencies including prospective students, alumni and friends, current and prospective donors, the campus community, and local and global communities.
Leading a diverse team of creative professionals, the Vice President has responsibility for the institution’s brand and image, and directs the strategy and planning for all communications, marketing, and public relations functions. At the heart of this position is a passion for realizing the values and mission of Luther through thoughtful and consistent implementation of creative messaging strategies that engage multiple audiences.
The Vice President reports to the President of Luther College and is a member of the President’s Cabinet along with Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College, Vice President for Finance and Administration, Vice President for Enrollment Management, Vice President and Dean for Student Life, Vice President for Development and Dean for Institutional Planning and Mission. He or she will have significant interaction with the Board of Regents and will attend the Finance & Enrollment and Marketing Committee meetings.
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications are the Director of Web Content, Director of Publications and Design, Director of Media Relations, Director of Visual Media, Sports Information Director and Coordinator of Music Organizations and Marketing. A total of 18 people work in the department.
In partnership with the many stakeholders of Luther College, the vice president will shape the College’s communications vision and strategy and lead the marketing and communications team to share the unique and evolving voice and narrative of the institution with multiple communities in creative and compelling ways.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the development of an innovative strategy for the marketing and communications function at the college. The Vice President will be an innovator, relationship builder, strategist and collaborator. He or she will bring oversight abilities along with an exceptional background in the technical aspects of the job. At the core of this vital work is finding, shaping and sharing the narrative stories of Luther College to its many communities. Specific responsibilities include:
Strategy and Development
- Set a bold and comprehensive marketing and communications plan that furthers the college’s existing strategic priorities. Act as the visionary leader toward achievement of the goals of the function’s strategic plan.
- Elevate the image of Luther through enhancing a consistent visual and narrative brand throughout all activities and programs.
- Work closely with the Vice President for Enrollment Management in recruitment and research efforts that support enrollment goals, affirm institutional strengths, and evaluate constituency perception and satisfaction with Luther.
- Support the work of institutional advancement with high quality marketing and communication.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan for the Office of the President.
- Continually improve college marketing and communications through the use of carefully selected research and surveys.
Leadership and Management
- Provide comprehensive strategic management and direction to the marketing and communications function.
- Manage and oversee the following departments:
- Web Content
- Publications and Design
- Media Relations
- Visual Media
- Sports Information
- Music Organizations and Marketing
- Hire, train, coach and develop the Directors in the department. Bring a servant leadership style and a sophisticated management approach to the job, with an eye to the ongoing development and engagement of each staff member.
- Create a strong, cohesive and collaborative culture in the marketing and communications department. Reward and recognize staff for outstanding work. Celebrate success.
- Manage department budgets and assure appropriate resource allocation to key priorities of the department.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet, staff liaison to the Marketing Committee of the Board of Regents, and member of ad hoc task groups as assigned.
External Relations and Advertising
- Develop and maintain professional contacts and affiliations with public relations firms, advertising channels, and other external resources that can assist the college in its marketing efforts.
- Proactively seek earned media opportunities to elevate the profile and recognition of Luther’s accomplishments as a leading education institution.
- Manage all advertising and promotion campaigns (online, social, and print) to ensure that messages are accurate, brand consistent, and effectively support strategic goals and marketing objectives.
- Support and enhance the work of departments that have significant external relations (e.g., Athletics, Summer Conferences, Bookshop, Catering, College Ministries, Outdoor Recreation, and specific summer camps).
- Oversee editorial direction for all print publications, web content, social media platforms, design, advertising, and media efforts.
- Create an integrated content strategy that reflects key branding attributes and cross-department goals that support Luther’s strategic priorities and initiatives.
Online and Web Development
- Ensure web content and online properties are consistently updated, accurate, and utilize the most current and effective technology.
- Develop and implement strategies to improve the website and email experience to disseminate college news and information.
- Provide communications support to Luther events.