Primary Purpose: Reporting to the senior creative director, the videographer/photographer will think like a photojournalist (i.e., be able to produce impactful, dynamic imagery and tell visual stories using a variety of mediums including still photography and video). The videographer/photographer is responsible for creating compelling visual stories for use on university websites, various social media channels, printed publications and advertisements as well as campus signature events. Guided by strategic priorities, this individual also will be called on to capture campus beauty, university events, ceremonies, lectures and performances, and to provide portraiture of faculty, staff, administration, students, and other diverse projects all while using a high level of creativity and independent judgement. The successful incumbent will also seek and create opportunities to enhance multi-media storytelling and support university Communications social media and branding campaigns.
Essential Functions: 1. Creates engaging multimedia storytelling using videography and photography. Captures occasional video for B-roll and other projects as appropriate.
2. Documents campus life on a daily basis, being alert to unplanned photo and multi-media story telling opportunities.
3. Takes and evaluates video and photo requests resulting in consultation with the senior creative director. Determines which requests to fill, which to refer to freelance photographers, and which to decline.
4. Collaborates with other marketing and communications staff and contributes to university social media efforts, including significant responsibility for developing the universitys image and visual brand on social media platforms.
5. Builds video and photo galleries, creates slide shows and seeks ways to enhance multi-media storytelling for the university in all its branding efforts.
6. Maintains extensive and current video and photo library using a digital asset management system, representing all aspects of life on the universitys three campuses.
7. Provides fast turnaround of images for web, social media and news media requests. Disseminates videos and photographs to media or other third parties as appropriate.
8. Mentors and supervises student interns or student employees to enhance the marketing and communications departments video and photo capabilities. Works closely with other professional videographers and photographers who are contracted for specialty assignments such as special events, executive portraits or architectural and artwork photography.
9. Provides technical assistance and serves as resource to university colleagues.
10. Distributes and collects signatures on video and photo releases for university shoots, and keeps files of the signed releases.
11. In case of emergency, documents events in videos and photos, and under general direction from the crisis team, distributes materials to news media and other entities.
12. Handles multiple assignments well, maintaining a positive attitude under pressure and meeting deadlines.
13. Stays abreast of industry technology, techniques, trends and best practices to sharpen skills and to share insights with other team members.
14. Values diversity and inclusion in day-to-day interactions and in creative recommendations and decision-making.
15. Miscellaneous duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum of three (3) years of full-time experience as a professional videographer/photographer.
Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
Skill in creatively and imaginatively producing video and photographs.
Outstanding portfolio of high quality videos and images and a demonstrated ability to shoot outstanding images in a wide variety of scenarios (special events, news photos, portraits, groups, receptions, sports and action scenes, landscapes, buildings, etc.).
Knowledge of videography and photographic principles, practices and techniques.
Extensive knowledge of videography and photographic lighting techniques.
Knowledge of programs and platforms to build video and photo galleries, slide shows and other multi-media storytelling elements.
Experience editing, organizing, and maintaining an extensive database of videos and photos.
Power user skills with video and photo editing software and image-management systems, as well as Microsoft Office applications. knowledge of video editing software and processes, such as Final Cut Pro. Adobe Creative Suite experience especially helpful.
Bachelors degree in film studies, videography, photography or photojournalism or equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Ability to take initiative and work independently, successfully prioritize tasks and deadlines, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and efficiently manage ones own time.
Excellent command of the English language, including grammar and spelling.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and experience dealing effectively with a wide range of people.
Outstanding customer service skills and desire to assist others; approachable; ability to quickly establish rapport, making people feel comfortable and welcome.
Must be able to perform in a rapidly changing environment and be flexible and adaptable.
Perform in a professional manner, and maintain competency and a positive attitude in a fast-paced work environment.
Have a tactful and diplomatic manner that leaves a positive impression.
Maintain a positive helping disposition and a stellar work ethic.
Flexible schedule to accommodate long hours and after-hours events.
Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties may require lengthy periods of standing, walking and sitting. Frequent repetitive motion of hands and wrists, simple grasping with fingers and hands. Occasional climbing stairs, walking across campus, stooping and reaching. Constant communication using both spoken and written means. May be required to lift/carry up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work performed on an on-call basis as needed. May be required to travel to the Sacramento campus.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.