The Associate Director of Public Relations is primarily responsible for playing an integral role in advancing Chicago Boothâ™s profile via all communication channels and will work with the media to generate positive coverage for Chicago Booth faculty, events, and branded initiatives. Will draft, edit and proofread press releases, media advisories, and other content packages promoting the school. Candidate will also serve as one of the primary points of contact for requests from journalists in a fast-paced, high-volume news office.
1) Coordinate daily media requests, taking the lead to arrange interviews with faculty and researchers.
2) Draft, edit and proofread press releases, media advisories, and other content packages promoting the school.
3) Maintain and develop relationships with key reporters to proactively pitch news and story ideas to external news outlets.
4) Track/measure media coverage focusing on the school and contribute as needed to preparation of daily clips sent to senior leaders or staff.
5) Identify opportunities for amplification of key stories, and also proactively identity potential issues to bring to the attention of the director of media and public relations.
6) Maintain media lists and other administrative tools essential to the efficient operations of media and public relations.
7) Coordinate media interviews on campus, including arranging logistics.
8) Help faculty prepare for media interviews, if/when requested.
9) Bring media relations/public relations expertise to bear on the departmentâ™s strategic media and other communications initiatives.
10) Work collaboratively and proactively with the broader marketing and communications team to identify and take advantage of synergies across different content efforts for earned, owned, shared, and paid media.
11) Display a growth mindset, an entrepreneurial approach, and a passion for lifelong learning and continuing education.
1) Outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills, as well as organizational skills.
2) Excellent writing, editing, well-honed news judgement and developing strategic communication plans.
3) Handle multiple detailed tasks/projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet strict deadlines while working as a part of a team in a past-faced environment.
4) Extensive experience in digital media and in social media content creation and strategy.
5) Demonstrated passion for media, communications, and storytelling.
1) Bachelorâ™s degree in journalism, communications, or related field.Â
1) Minimum of five years of direct, applicable public relations and media relations experience, additional experience in content marketing, journalism, or related communications fields.
2) Experience working in an integrated PR agency and/or an in-house corporate communications department.
3) Experience developing relationships with local, national and international media, and hands-on experience in brand or media newsroom operations.
4) Experience handling fast-paced, high-profile public relations deliverables.
5) Experience in all phases of a best-practices public relations approach, from strategy to planning to execution to measurement and optimization.
6) Experience with various digital analytics tools for measuring earned media impact, as well as analytics tools around social media and websites.
2) Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR08016
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.