Serves as lead communications professional responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive internal and external communications to support MSU's broad Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy. Serves as the communications lead supporting the DEI Strategic Initiative, the Chief Diversity Officer and the Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives. Works in collaborative partnership with other leaders and a variety of communicators across campus to drive execution of key diversity and inclusion communications priorities and activities throughout the organization. In addition, this communicator works as part of a collaborative communications team supporting communications needs within the university. As a member of this team, this communicator will assume direct project leadership for specific communications initiatives supporting these efforts, including strategy and planning roles, as well as executing tactics associated with MSU’s DEI priorities.
• Develop and execute strategies to communicate MSU’s broad commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as among the institution’s highest priorities. In addition, will assist in anticipating, analyzing, and identifying emerging challenges and opportunities related to DEI and related initiatives.
• Develop and execute communications strategies for MSU’s broad diversity and inclusion efforts and develop or oversee development and dissemination of content to advance diversity, equity and inclusion goals internally and externally.
• Work with University Communications and other university units to facilitate appropriate messaging throughout MSU’s communications infrastructure and to leverage all or parts of the communications network to communicate key diversity and inclusion themes.
• Lead and coordinate development and maintenance of specialized communications associated with the core goals of the initiatives and communications needs of the VP/CDO and Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives.
• Provide complex communications consultation and project leadership for the CDO, DEI Strategic Initiative and the MSU Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives programs and projects.
• Perform media relations functions including monitoring coverage on key initiatives and issues, assisting with issues management and media responses, coordinating and implementing media events and developing and writing news releases.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in journalism, communications, public relations, English, or related field; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in communications, public relations, or a related field in higher education, an agency environment, or a large, complex organization; developing and executing integrated strategic DEI communications programs; developing and writing content including news releases, web and social content; monitoring media and social media on key initiatives and issues; leading and coordinating development and maintenance of specialized communications for diverse and target audiences; developing, leading and managing culturally sensitive social media strategies and implementing strategies to increase social media presence and engagement with a wide range of audiences; experience advising others on DEI topics; managing complex projects; working with diverse communities and individual leaders within diverse communities and developing effective working relationships with members of various and diverse communities; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum of five and preferably ten years of professional experience developing and executing integrated strategic communications programs in a fast-paced PR or marketing agency or working closely with an agency to achieve strategic communications objectives; demonstrated mastery of high-quality, professional-level project management, planning and conceptualization, plan execution, and results assessment; with particular emphasis on diversity and inclusion programs and projects, directed at both internal and external audiences; demonstrated excellence and mastery of communicating to diverse audiences, including social media communication reaching diverse audiences, requiring knowledge of different cultures, values, experiences, expectations and effective ways of interacting; excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; demonstrated excellence in clearly and persuasively communicating concepts and ideas both verbally and in writing, including communicating concepts and ideas that impact diverse populations; experience working with local, state, and national news media and other media outlets; experience creating and shaping multimedia content for social media and web properties.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Spartans work every day to advance the common good in uncommon ways.Together, we tackle some of the world?s toughest problems to find solutions that make life better?from alternative energy to better food safety to breakthrough medical and environmental applications achieved through rare isotope research.We teach. We explore and we discover. We collaborate and lead. We innovate, inspire, and empower. We achieve our potential and create circumstances that help our students and others achieve theirs.We're good at it, and we've been at it for more than 150 years.The nation?s pioneer land-grant university, MSU began as a bold experiment that democratized higher education and helped bring science and innovation into everyday life. The revolutionary concept became a model for the nation.Today, MSU is one of the top research universities in the world?on one of the biggest, greenest campuses in the nation. Home to nationally ranked and recognized academic, residential college, and service-learning programs, we?re a diverse community of dedicated students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.In ways both practical and profound, we work to create a stronger, more sustainable, and more hopeful future for all.