The successful candidate for Director of Athletic Communications & Marketing will oversee all marketing, communications and promotional efforts for Sacred Heart University's 32 Division I Athletic teams. Execute targeted marketing and communications plans for reputation and specific sports.
- Supervise Athletic Marketing and Communications Department that includes of 4 staff.
- Media Relations: Serve as primary media contact for SHU Athletics. Cultivate and foster relationships with reporters from local and national publications to maximize coverage of SHU's teams, players, accomplishments and stories. Work with Communications team to disseminate press releases when necessary. Including but not limited to milestones, hall of fame, coaching changes, hometown releases. Coordinate interviews with players and coaches for outside publications and SHU-produced content. Oversee and coordinate media passes and seating for athletic events.
- Game Management: Work collaboratively with athletic operations to provide game management support from marketing and communication perspective. Supervise broadcast and media coverage for games in coordination with athletic operations.
- Website & Social Media: Oversight of shubigred.com, social media handles and SHU Athletics YouTube channel. Ensure content is accurate, updated, relevant and best represents SHU's 32 sports. Oversee content strategy for athletics in coordination with marketing, web content management team and coaches. Post scores, game coverage and stories to shubigred.com and social media sites as they happen. Develop sport-specific sites to assist in recruitment efforts as needed. Work with coaches and strategic enrollment management on content.
- Publications/e-Newsletters: Oversee development and production of publications, media guides, visiting team guides for all SHU athletic teams. Coordinate and publish schedules and collateral to promote games, events and advancement opportunities. Work with marketing team to execute SHU sports e-newsletter and updates. Develop fact sheets and collateral to support recruitment efforts. Work with coaches and strategic enrollment management on content.
- Advertising, Promotions & Sponsorships: Manage promotional efforts of athletic events on campus and in the community. Utilize website, social media, newsletter and paid advertising options as necessary. Coordinate promotional materials for games and events. Work with marketing team to build sponsorship and ad strategy using in-game, multimedia and website opportunities.
- Broadcast, Media Production and Graphics: Oversee media production and content strategy for in game media, post-game highlights, promotional video and live-broadcasted events. Utilize University streaming platforms, NEC Front Row and SHU Athletics YouTube Channels as needed. Work with School of Communications, Media & the Arts to coordinate broadcasts. Manage relationships with SNY and other stations and outlets for broadcast.
- Administration and Planning: Hold quarterly meetings with marketing and athletic operations to develop promotional and communications strategy to support all 32 sports. Oversee department budgets, internship programs. Maintain knowledge of NCAA and Northeast Conference rules and regulations.
3-5 years of marketing & communication experience. Previous experience in athletics and collegiate athletics a plus.
Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations as it relates to communications. If not from previous experience, a willingness to learn inside and out.
Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Project and Staff Management. Highly organized and detail-oriented, must be resourceful and accountable to schedules and budgets. Must be able to manage multiple communications efforts and staff to achieve department and University goals. Ability to collaboratively lead team to meet strategic goals.
Working knowledge of social media platforms, social media management tools and web management tools. Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.
Understanding of news, media relations and communications
Knowledge of multimedia production efforts. This position oversees areas in broadcast in production.
Understanding of divisional and University policies and procedures.
Willingness to work nights and weekends to support athletics schedules. Travel when necessary.
Other duties as assigned.
About Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart University, the second-largest independent Catholic university in New England, offers more than 80 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs on its main campus in Fairfield, Conn., located less than 60 miles from Manhattan and approximately 150 miles from Boston. With its five miles of shoreline, marinas, parks, open space and plenty of shopping and fine dining, Fairfield is consistently recognized as a top community in the Northeast in which to live. In 2018 the town earned an A+ in a 'report card' by Niche on "Best Places to Live" in Connecticut. Sacred Heart also has satellites in Connecticut, Luxembourg and Ireland. It comprises more than 300 acres of land, including an 18-hole golf course and the former global headquarters of General Electric. Rooted in the 2000-year-old Catholic intellectual tradition and the liberal arts, Sacred Heart embraces a vision for social justice and educates students in mind, body and spirit to prepare them personally and professionally to make a difference in the global community. More than 8,500 students attend the University's six colleges: Arts & Sciences; Health Professions; Nursing; the Jack Welch College of Busin...ess; the Isabelle Farrington College of Education; and St. Vincent's College. Consistently recognized for excellence, The Princeton Review includes SHU in its guides, Best 382 Colleges-2018 Edition, "Best in the Northeast" and Best 267 Business Schools-2018 Edition. It also placed SHU on its lists for "Best College Theater" and "Most Engaged in Community Service," each of which comprises only 20 U.S. schools. U.S.News & World Report ranks SHU in its Best Colleges 2018 guidebook and calls SHU the fourth "Most Innovative School" in the North. The Chronicle of Higher Education also names SHU one of the fastest-growing Roman Catholic universities in its 2016 almanac. .