Primary Purpose: Join University of the Pacific's award-winning Strategic Communications Team as a Senior Content Writer. The Senior Content Writer will help create content that elevates Pacific's brand and grows its reputation regionally and nationally. This experienced and versatile communicator will develop, curate, write and edit compelling and engaging content for multiple platforms and publications including digital newsletters, websites, videos, blogs, social media campaigns, events, opinion pieces and the university's magazine. The Senior Content Writer will report to the Sr. Director of Media Relations and collaborate with department leaders in digital communications, internal communications, community relations and design, and will work closely with the Sr. Writer/Editor. The Senior Writer will have a deep understanding of news and its relationship and application to social media and digital communications to attract prospective students and families, and engage employees, donors, alumni, supporters and key influencers to become advocates and champions. This position is located on the Stockton Campus and will work on campus. It is not remote.
Essential Functions: 1. Develops major story and feature ideas that elevate Pacific regionally and nationally; creates and edits an extensive and wide array of compelling and interesting news and feature stories, web and magazine features, profiles, bios, newsletter content, opinion pieces, blogs, social media posts, captions, letter and speeches of varying lengths. Recommends photography and videography to enhance content.
2. Makes decisions and recommendations regarding content direction and selection, content placement, and timing.
3. Has a keen sense of curiosity in finding story ideas and knows how to tease out content from a variety of sources. Identifies stories that are media worthy and works with Senior Director of Media Relations on pitching.
4. Understands how to synthesize ideas and issues into content, creates new content and repurposes existing content.
5. Highly adept at researching and gathering data and market intelligence, finding sources, conducting interviews; fact checks all content with multiple sources.
6. Can easily work with senior leaders throughout the organization and cultivates strong relationships and networks with coworkers, community members and university colleagues to identify potential story ideas and other areas of content, as well as to seek out information.
7. Develops and follows a comprehensive annual editorial calendar, reviewed weekly, collaborating with team members to ensure timely delivery of content.
8. Ensures all content represents the universitys values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
9. Works with graphic designers, photographer/videographer, and web/digital team to develop major and secondary features for annual magazine, digital and social campaigns and web projects. Works on in-depth long-form features with multiple sources as well as shorter pieces for newsroom and social media.
10. Follows universitys editorial standards and branding guidelines.
11. Proofreads and edits content for accuracy, clarity, consistency, grammar and editorial style.
12. Performs other duties as needed.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelors degree in marketing, communications, journalism or related discipline. Ten (10) years of experience writing for digital platforms and print publications.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working in a higher education or agency setting. Experience shooting photography/videography. Experience using various analytics software. Working knowledge of HTML and CSS. Working knowledge of search engine optimization and best practices. Strong attention to detail. Able to work under pressure. Experience using social media platforms.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sitting, standing, ability to walk to different locations on campus
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. May occasionally need to work after hours, weekends and holidays.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt
Background Check Statement: All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment are required to execute a release and authorization for a background screening.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.