Responsible for supporting the alumni experience for underrepresented groups, leading efforts to empower volunteers to represent their voices as a part of the Lehigh community. This role works to make sure diverse voices are represented throughout Lehigh alumni volunteer groups and communications. This position reports to Alumni Relations and works with departments throughout the University to create a comprehensive experience for alumni.
The Alumni Relations team connects our 85,000 alumni to each other and back to Lehigh for the purpose of supporting the university’s goals and GO: The Campaign for Lehigh. The Associate Director of Diversity Programs is charged with supporting the alumni experience for underrepresented alumni groups. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate programs and projects that engage and re-engage our alumni of diverse identities *Lead efforts to ensure Lehigh’s historically underrepresented alumni populations can establish a strong connection to the University *Forge relationships with appropriate university partners, especially the Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Equity; develop cohesive priorities for engaging alumni of diverse identities across the University *Develop new affinity-based programs based on alumni interest and University priorities, with heavy emphasis on creating innovative digital networks and leveraging technology *Assist in overseeing affinity budgets related to these programs *Sustain and strengthen existing programs; evaluate programs and establish metrics and benchmarks
2. Develop a comprehensive strategy for elevating the importance of diversity among all alumni groups, especially for leadership roles *Partner with colleagues in Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) and Lehigh departments to proactively identify and promote diverse candidates for volunteer leadership positions *Integrate the work of Black and Latinx Network for Community (BALANCE) and Lehigh Alumni Pride Association (LAPA) into existing regional, professional alliance and class affinity strategies *Partner with leadership gift officers to execute a systemic approach to cultivating and stewarding alumni of diverse identities, parents and friends through existing engagement programs including reunion, regional clubs, professional networking activities, etc. *Work with the DAR Marketing and Communications team to ensure Lehigh social media networks and news stories include diverse perspectives, people and programs
3. Manage affinity group volunteer boards *Develop and maintain an efficient volunteer structure for assigned groups *Sustain and strengthen existing volunteer boards, with documented nomination and succession plans *Evaluate programs and establish metrics and benchmarks *Meet with boards regularly in order to maintain positive working relationships *Cultivate leadership for new groups as they develop
4. Design affinity-based event strategies that align with GO: The Campaign for Lehigh *Partner with Events, Communications and other team members as the Business Lead on events that showcase diversity programs and represent assigned groups *Recruit event hosts and speakers via Major Gift Officers, to engage prospects and move them along the pipeline *Analyze data from events to make better business decisions in future planning *Leverage digital media and virtual communications to strengthen affinity networks *Collaborate with DAR Marketing and Communications to develop effective communications strategies and marketing plans
5. Support other members of the Alumni Relations team and DAR colleagues and complete general office duties as expected *Support programs housed within the Alumni Relations team, and others within DAR, to ensure successful outcomes *Complete general office duties proactively in a timely manner including budget maintenance, timesheets, expense report reconciliation, calendar maintenance, etc. *Provide customer service to internal and external constituents *Proactively assist alumni and staff to problem-solve, suggest or initiate changes and improvements to departmental processes or procedures
Position Number: S98760
This position is expected to work remotely while the campus remains in a limited capacity due to COVID-19; in the future it is expected that this position will be staffed on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
Three to Five years related work experience
Experience in higher education, community activism, or non-profits preferred
Prior experience working with diversity programs and community organizing preferred
Experience building social media channels and adept use of digital communication preferred
Ability to complete projects on time and on budget, and report on status and progress
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Excellent writing ability, attention to detail and organizational skills
Excellent computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Internal Number: 499413
About Lehigh University
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.