Senior Public Relations Associate – IL, DC, or Remote
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. With more than 175 talented employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, expertise, and knowledge that each one brings to our table.
Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. Thanks to our positive, supportive work environment, ASA has been named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for the last four years.
As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are smart, creative, motivated, and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!
The Senior Public Relations Senior Associate supports and implements public and media relations initiatives and campaigns to protect and promote ASA and its positions to key audiences. Performs day-to-day public and media relations activities; coordinates the development and distribution of ASA news releases; and plans, writes, and edits related content on schedule and within tight and often urgent timeframes. Under the supervision of the Senior Public Relations Manager, support efforts to ensure positive awareness and understanding of the specialty within the media, medical community, policymakers and legislators, health care leadership, patients, and the general public. This position also supports ASA’s efforts in strengthening the recognition and brand of the Society.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
· Proactively pitch ASA initiatives and expertise and pursue media placement opportunities with national, trade and local reporters. Cultivate working relationships with health care media, consumer media, and key audiences that clearly and consistently support the Society’s mission, vision, and strategic plan. Respond to media and public inquiries and coordinate media interviews with ASA spokespersons. Write talking points on various topics and help prepare ASA spokespersons. Assist Public Relations Department with before/after-hours media requests as needed.
· Write and edit press materials, including but not limited to pitches, news releases, media alerts, byline articles and variable content to secure positive media coverage and increase public awareness of the specialty.
· Distribute news releases, media alerts, educational and other public and media materials on time and on schedule. Develop and maintain accurate and updated target media lists.
· Coordinate public and media relations activities in support of the ANESTHESIOLOGY annual meeting both onsite and in the virtual environment, including press registration process and related content and functionality on microsite. Participate in the selection of scientific abstracts to be promoted in news releases during the meeting. Assist in writing scientific and non-scientific news releases and meeting announcements.
· Maintain all media monitoring databases and a log of all on-going and completed interview requests and subsequent published articles/broadcasts. Document, track, and report on all public relations requests and activities.
· Write, develop, and schedule appropriate content for digital and print communications (including social media, ASAP and other e-newsletters, e-blasts, asahq.org website, microsites, and The Monitor) and publish content on website.
· Monitor the daily media monitoring service and report daily coverage and articles of interest to the specialty. Compile regular reports on relevant PR initiatives and success metrics and KPIs.
· Assist in the coordination of ASA’s Leadership Spokesperson Training (LSTP) program. Identify new opportunities to deliver training onsite and remotely. Coordinate registration and RSVPs, critique and provide feedback to ASA members participating in program.
· Assist with executive leadership presentations, including content development, editing, and PowerPoint slide creation, for state and subspecialty presentations.
· Collaborate with Marketing Communications team and other colleagues to identify opportunities, plan and implement PR-related tactics to support ASA products, programs, and initiatives as part of holistic communications plans.
· Ensure the ASA Insider (Intranet) and ASA websites are up to date with current department activities related to public relations.
· Support the Committee on Communications, including meeting planning, agenda development, meeting minutes, etc. Foster collaboration among Committee members via Online Community.
· Assist in creating copy/images for PR social media and maintain the Canva image software.
Bachelor’s degree in English, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, or related field required.
Minimum 4 years of experience in media/public relations role required.
Agency and/or association experience desired.
AP style writing experience required. Excellent overall verbal and written communication skills required. Strong news and public relations writing required. Excellent proofreading skills required.
Understanding of public relations concepts and practices. Proven record of success in media placements.
Ability to distill complex content and research to a broad understanding.
Demonstrated understanding of social media tactics required. Experience creating social media content for business preferred.
About American Society of Anesthesiologists
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is a medical association that serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. We strive to be the world's premier medical society by offering superior educational opportunities and resources to our members, as well as a positive, empowering environment for our employees.
With more than 175 talented, enthusiastic employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, unique expertise, and vast knowledge that every individual brings to our table. Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to a variety of member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty as a whole.
Each of us is dedicated to our members and we strive to create an outstanding experience that helps them succeed. This commitment to excellence reaches far beyond our daily tasks—we set high expectations for ourselves, exhibit a strong work ethic and take pride in the results we achieve. Collectively, our desire to keep improving allows us to achieve great things as we seek feedback, pursue know...ledge, and strategize to enhance our organization for the future.
One tangible result of living these values is being named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for the last four years. ASA was also awarded the Health Champion designation for two consecutive years by the American Diabetes Association®.
As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are competent, innovative, motivated, and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!