The Communications Consultant position serves as the primary communications consultant for the Center for Applied Research and Educational Improvement (CAREI). The Communications Consultant is a communications and marketing generalist who is responsible for developing and executing an annual strategic communications and marketing plan for CAREI. The plan will support CAREI goals.
This is a 50 % time, 12-month academic professional position on an annually renewable contract. Annual renewals are subject to a successful performance review and availability of funds. The starting date for this position is open and the salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Marketing & Branding (50%)
• Conduct market analysis/research to understand educators’ needs around CAREI services and products, such as multi-tiered systems of support and data-based decision-making. Research may include holding focus groups, distributing surveys, talking with peers, reviewing literature, and other means to gather best practices. • Develop and implement a marketing plan with specific campaigns to promote the center’s services and meet center goals. Strategies and tactics may include developing a marketing position statement and key messages, writing marketing content (e-mail, web, print, social media), developing an outreach strategy, and collaborating with CEHD’s graphic designer to develop print marketing materials. • Develop a specific marketing campaign to increase awareness and knowledge about CAREI among University and College donors and philanthropists. • Manage CAREI brand, including overseeing the implementation of brand standards; and managing writing tone and voice to ensure integration with CEHD and the University. Develop templates for reports, briefs, presentations, and other products. • Review final CAREI products (reports, briefs, infographics) to ensure standardization. • Evaluate marketing activities to determine effectiveness.
Web and Social Media (25%)
• Lead website content strategy, including writing and posting web content, and collaborating with the CEHD Web Team when department sites need to be created or redesigned. • Implement strategies to drive website traffic. • Manage website writing tone and voice, and implement governance standards to ensure content is up-to-date. • Monitor web traffic and adjust content strategy as needed to maximize audience engagement. • Review the CAREI social media presence and make recommendations for social media strategy. • Manage CAREI social media channels, including Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Internal Communications & Media Relations (20%)
• Develop a comprehensive media relations plan to promote CAREI’s brand and research. The plan may include developing key messages, story mining, developing media relations materials, answering media requests, and pitching proactive news stories—all for the purpose of showcasing faculty research and scholarship. • Push CAREI news to other CEHD, and University internal and external communications channels to extend its reach. • Write and distribute internal communications, such as newsletters, and emails. • Compile and report media relations metrics. • Represent CAREI at internal communications meetings and provide appropriate follow-up as needed from meeting agendas/items. • Serve as the internal lead/primary point of contact for CAREI for all University and collegiate communications items, responding as needed on behalf of the Center.
Planning & Project Management (5%)
• Work with the CAREI Leadership team to develop annual CAREI goals and metrics for all service areas and assist in tracking progress to goals.
• BA/BS degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field or non-communications related degree with additional two years of professional communications experience. • 4 years of professional communications experience. Non-communications degreed individuals must have six years of progressive responsibility in communications. • Experience successfully developing and implementing a communications and marketing plan.
• Master’s degree in Communications or related field. • 10-12 years of experience in marketing and communications, preferably in a higher education or public relations agency setting. • Experience with web applications, such as Dreamweaver, WordPress, Drupal 8, and others. • Demonstrated understanding of content strategy and website governance. • Experience with HTML, CSS, and RSS feeds. • Proven ability to manage multiple and simultaneous projects and activities, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines. • Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to build consensus with diverse groups of people. • Strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating exceptional writing skills for a variety of audiences.
Internal Number: 340742
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.