Within this portal you'll find hundreds of career opportunities. We offer free access to all job seekers in the journalism community, member and non-members, including confidential resume posting, career-related content and multiple ways to search for jobs.
Associate Dean for Extension/Assistant Director for Human Sciences Extension Programs
Auburn University at Auburn
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Internal Number: 26637
The College of Human Sciences (CHS) at Auburn University (http://humsci.auburn.edu/chs/) and the Alabama Cooperative Extension System (ACES) (www.aces.edu) are seeking to fill the position of Associate Dean for Extension and Assistant Director for Human Sciences Extension Programs to begin no later than Fall 2022. This 12-month administrative position will fit within the organizational structures of CHS and ACES. The Associate Dean/Assistant Director position reports jointly to the CHS Dean and the ACES Associate Director. The position is classified as an Extension Specialist with a joint CHS and ACES administrative appointment. The Associate Dean/Assistant Director will be a member of the CHS administrative team with an office located in either Spidle Hall or Duncan Hall. The position is a member of the ACES System Program Team charged to bring into alignment the programmatic visions and directions of the CHS and ACES.
COLLEGE: The College of Human Sciences at Auburn University, established in 1916, has approximately 1,600 students distributed among three departments: Consumer and Design Sciences; Nutrition, Dietetics and Hospitality Management; and Human Development and Family Science, and an Office of Global Education. These academic units offer seven undergraduate degrees, four minors, five master's degree programs, and three doctoral programs. The College of Human Sciences offers several study abroad programs and is home to the institution's only permanent international campus, situated outside Rome, Italy. For more information, please see http://www.humsci.auburn.edu/main/.
EXTENSION: The Alabama Cooperative Extension System is the outreach organization for the land grant mission of Auburn University and Alabama A&M University. Its educational programs grow from these two land grant university campuses to serve the people of Alabama. Science-based educational programs are delivered that enable people to improve their quality of life and economic well-being. Information and programs are available online or in person through all 67 County Extension Offices and at teaching sites throughout Alabama communities. For more information, please see https://www.aces.edu/.
UNIVERSITY: Auburn University is one of the nation's premier public land-grant institutions. In 2020, it was ranked 44th among public universities by US News and World Report. Auburn, an R1 institution, maintains high levels of research activity and high standards for teaching excellence, offering Bachelor's, Master's, Educational Specialist, and Doctor's degrees in agriculture and engineering, the professions, and the arts and sciences. Its 2020 enrollment of 30,730 students includes 24,505 undergraduates and 6,232 graduate and professional students. Organized into twelve academic colleges and schools, Auburn's 1,643 instructional faculty members-87% of whom are employed full-time-offer more than 200 educational programs. The University is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, its positive work environment, its student engagement, and its beautiful campus.
Auburn residents enjoy a thriving community with a 2020 population of 76,143, a moderate climate and easy access to major cities or to beach and mountain recreational facilities. Situated along the rapidly developing I-85 corridor between Atlanta, Georgia and Montgomery, Alabama, the combined Auburn-Opelika-Columbus statistical area has a population of more than 500,000, with excellent public school systems and regional medical centers. For more information, please see http://www.auburn.edu/.
Responsibilities: The Associate Dean/Assistant Director provides vision and leadership in how Extension, research, academic programs, and other allied programs develop synergy to enhance collaborative research and evidence-based outcomes. The position provides coordination and leadership for Human Sciences Extension Programs carried out by ACES in collaboration with the CHS and Alabama A&M University. The position is responsible for the coordination and integration of Extension programs that engage Alabama citizens in evidence-based programming and research to support the well-being of individuals, families, and communities. The Associate Dean/Assistant Director will:
· Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Department Heads in the College, ACES program units, and County Extension Offices;
· Serve as a liaison between CHS and ACES;
· Foster entrepreneurial approaches to engage faculty in the pursuit and procurement of revenue through grants, contracts, gifts and fees to expand programming;
· Mentor and work collaboratively with Extension Specialists in CHS Human Sciences Extension programming;
· Provide input to Department Heads for the evaluation of Extension Specialists and professional staff with ACES appointments;
· Recommend changes to ensure constant improvement of Extension programming;
· Lead program needs assessment activities, priority program team plan-of‐work development, delivery of transformational Extension programs, outcome evaluation and impact reporting;
· Be responsible for the recruitment, hiring, supervision, mentoring and performance assessment of Regional Extension Agents;
· Provide leadership to assure program alignment with the annual plan‐of‐work and direction set by ACES and CHS;
· Serve as the ACES representative to the Southern Region Family and Consumer Sciences Extension Program Leaders Network;
· Serve as an active member of the CHS Executive Leadership Team;
· Provide leadership and guidance to priority program team coordinators and other team leaders;
· Foster the use of emerging pedagogy and communication technologies, including the appropriate media and social media, to engage new and diverse constituent audiences;
· Build teamwork through communication with ACES and departmental Extension Specialists, Regional Extension Agents, and others as appropriate.
Auburn University is dedicated to improving the lives and shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research and scholarship, and selfless service.
With generous benefits and opportunities, you have every reason to work here!
ONA's programs are supported by an array of premiere foundations and leaders in journalism and technology. Explore the database and you'll discover new tools, educational opportunities, potential partners and more.