Within this portal you'll find hundreds of career opportunities. We offer free access to all job seekers in the journalism community, member and non-members, including confidential resume posting, career-related content and multiple ways to search for jobs.
Assistant Director of Athletics for Media Relations
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Internal Number: 7642
Responsible for the planning and implementation of a proactive, comprehensive communications operation for the University's NCAA Division II athletics program. The position oversees the day-to-day operations that include, but are not limited to, media relations, event management, promoting the athletic department, Web site maintenance, production of publications and other promotional items. Additionally, the position will oversee video production that includes but not limited to the PSAC Network webcasts, highlight packages, coaches shows, video features, social media video and end-of-the-year highlight packages. The Director of Athletics Media Relations will aid in the solicitation of advertising packages and ticket sales. This position informs external and internal entities of newsworthy matters concerning intercollegiate sports at Gannon; conceives, writes, edits and designs all collateral material required to successfully promote assigned athletic teams; manages pre-game, game-day, and post-competition media, compiling and posting statistics, and staffing events; and works to ensure compliance with NCAA, PSAC, and Title IX requirements relative to athletic communications. Must be able to support and promote the University's Mission.
1. Oversees the day-to-day operation of the Athletics Media Relations Office.
2. Maintains the Intercollegiate Athletics Website (www.gannonsports.com).
3. Oversees video production that includes but not limited to highlight packages, coaches shows, video features, social media and end-of-the-year highlight packages.
4. Serves as the primary contact for a selected number of Gannon intercollegiate athletic programs each season.
5. Fulfilling requests from members of the local and national sports media.
6. Compile, update, and maintain team statistics for selected sports.
7. Run Statcrew or NCAA LiveStats programs at home events and/or serve as PA announcer.
8. Writes scripts for public address announcer at home events.
9. Works closely with athletic personnel to run in-game management at all home events.
10. Reporting all statistics, results, etc. to Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC), NCAA and other entities.
11. Provide assistance to all incoming teams and their support staff at home events.
12. Know, understand, and comply with NCAA rules and regulations.
13. Responsible for writing news releases, feature stories and biographical information; publishing information on the athletic department website; creating graphics and messaging for social media posts; editing and designing game programs and other athletics department publications; arranging press conferences, interviews and photo shoots; managing press box accommodations; compiling and archiving statistics, records, photography and other information and nominating student-athletes, coaches and teams for awards.
14. Support the solicitation of advertising packages, ticket sales, and community engagement initiatives.
15. Serves on the Hall of Fame Committee
16. Performs other duties as assigned within the scope and responsibility and requirements of the job.
Founded in 1925, Gannon University is a four-year Catholic university committed to student-centered learning, with an emphasis on professional education integrated with faith-based, liberal-learning student outcomes.
Gannon has strategic university-wide initiatives that focus on and bring its purpose to life: Transform lives by creating environments for extraordinary moments and everyday connections that inspire others to become their best selves. These initiatives have fostered an inclusive, welcoming community that many refer to as the Gannon family.
Gannon University earned its first-ever Honor Roll status as a 2021 Great College to Work For, according to a new survey by The Great Colleges to Work For® program. It is one of 42 institutions across the country to earn Honor Roll distinction and was recognized in categories including Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging; Faculty Experience; Mission & Pride; and Professional Development. Gannon University was also ranked a top school in the nation by Wall Street Journal’s 2022 College Rankings, and ranked among the nation’s top universities by U.S. News and World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges 2022.”
Gannon University’s hom...e campus is located in Erie, Pennsylvania, the state’s fourth-largest city and one of the busiest ports on the Great Lakes. Gannon University’s unique location in downtown Erie and exceptional learning environments on campus create a special atmosphere conducive to education, scholarship, research, service, and personal growth.
Located right next door to Gannon's downtown campus are government agencies, hospitals, and local organizations and businesses that are active partners in helping Gannon students receive a hands-on education. The University's partnerships with downtown Erie neighborhoods, Erie County, and the Diocese of Erie strive to support the local community through numerous initiatives driven by students and employees.
Just steps away from Gannon’s campus in the heart of the city, you will also find restaurants, tax-free shopping, minor league sports, as well as a vibrant entertainment and cultural scene, and seven miles of Lake Erie beaches close by. Only a two-hour drive from Cleveland, Ohio; Buffalo, New York; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Niagara Falls, Canada, Erie has small-town friendliness and big-city attractions. For more information, please visit gannon.edu to learn more about Gannon’s campuses and the many attractions and accommodations within the surrounding regions.
Gannon University seeks excellence through inclusiveness and invites women and members of underrepresented groups to apply. Application Procedure: Submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information of three professional references to https://gannon.peopleadmin.com/postings/6304. Review of applications will begin immediately, and this position will remain open until filled. For more information about Gannon visit www.gannon.edu. Gannon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ONA's programs are supported by an array of premiere foundations and leaders in journalism and technology. Explore the database and you'll discover new tools, educational opportunities, potential partners and more.