Within this portal you'll find hundreds of career opportunities. We offer free access to all job seekers in the journalism community, member and non-members, including confidential resume posting, career-related content and multiple ways to search for jobs.
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Please also include three recent writing samples (or links to them online).
The Department of Cell & Developmental Biology (CDB) at the University of Michigan Medical School conducts high-impact research with a dedication to instructing and guiding trainees in the areas of cell biology, developmental biology, genetics, neuroscience, organogenesis, stem cell biology, and tissue repair and regeneration.
We seek a highly motivated and innovative individual to design and develop strategic communications (print, web, social media) to advance and elevate the department's three strategic priorities: 1) Research; 2) Education & Training; and 3) Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
This position will report to the Department of Cell & Developmental Biology leadership and be part of our Michigan Medicine endowed basic science department communication community of practice.
The ideal candidate will have experience and enjoy working with a diverse team and diverse range of audiences. You will join a diverse workforce and a dedicated team of administrative professionals who support the faculty, trainees, and staff in various mission-dependent functions.
We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Work with the Michigan Medicine Department of Communications to support department web needs including content creation, management, and updates of external facing websites and development and maintenance of CDB’s intranet.
Work with the Michigan Medicine Department of Communications to identify new marketing opportunities to reach and engage students, faculty, and staff, such as podcasts, blog posts, and user generated video.
Assess and determine department communication and marketing needs and make appropriate recommendations based on overall strategies.
Design engaging, effective, and collaboratively driven digital and print communication materials across multiple forms of media, such as print, web, PowerPoint, and social media.
Write, edit, and coordinate content for social media, websites, email campaigns, newsletters, event communications, presentations, and reports meeting project deadlines.
Enhance and maintain the social media presence for the Department of Cell & Developmental Biology, following institutional best practices and guidelines.
Participate in the basic science community of practice for peer networking, opportunities for cross promotion and to identify best practices for communication projects.
Promote innovation and creatively contribute to digital media assets adhering to CDB, U-M, and Michigan Medicine brand standards.
Foster internal communication that aligns and reflects CDB values to faculty, students, postdocs, and staff.
Increase external awareness and visibility to enhance and positively affect faculty and student recruitment, alumni pride, fundraising, and community engagement.
Make continuous improvement in the quality, consistency, and efficiency of marketing and communication that maintain branding and professional standards across communication platforms.
Simultaneously manage multiple design requests; communicate with the team and our internal and external clients to understand and meet project timelines/deadlines.
Establishment and organization of internal working library of design assets.
· Bachelor's degree in related field OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
· At least 3-5 years of relevant work experience in communications.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, including drafting original content for blogs, newsletters, news releases, web pages, social media posts, presentations, etc.
· Experience in web strategy, content creation, analysis and maintenance.
· Demonstrated knowledge and use of current social media platforms and trends.
· Enjoy providing exceptional customer service, including being professional, flexible, resourceful, empathetic, and positive.
· Attention to detail, intellectual curiosity, a collaborative working style, and flexibility involving having work edited by stakeholders.
· Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, take the initiative, and work effectively under tight deadlines and changing project requirements.
· Proficiency with industry-standard design concepts and software including, but not limited to, Adobe Creative Cloud including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Canva, PowerPoint, and Google Slides.
· Strong team player, commitment to problem solving and continuous improvement. Ability to work well in a diverse and collaborative environment.
· Masters, Ph.D., or equivalent experience in a biomedical or related field is a plus.
· Familiarity with communications around basic science environments, learners, and laboratory personnel.
· Experience using Drupal or similar platforms for website management and maintenance.
· Experience with social media software, such as Sprout or Hootsuite.
· Experience using Google analytics or other reporting applications.
· Experience with email marking platforms such as Constant Contact or Mailchimp.
· Expertise in creating motion graphics and designing digital video effects in programs such as Motion, Adobe After Effects, or other graphic design software applications.
This is a hybrid position with scheduled and upon-need work in our Ann-Arbor-based office.
Must have legal authorization to work in the United States
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.
ONA's programs are supported by an array of premiere foundations and leaders in journalism and technology. Explore the database and you'll discover new tools, educational opportunities, potential partners and more.