Within this portal you'll find hundreds of career opportunities. We offer free access to all job seekers in the journalism community, member and non-members, including confidential resume posting, career-related content and multiple ways to search for jobs.
Southern Oregon University is a welcoming community committed to inclusive excellence and the celebration of diversity. Without diversity, our educational process is diminished. Working together in support of our commitment to diversity, we strengthen and enrich our role as learners, educators and members of a tightly connected global community. We encourage those who share in our commitment to diversity, to join our community and we expect all our employees to demonstrate an ability and desire to create an inclusive campus community.
Salary/Rate: $16.71 p/hour (or $2,897 p/month based @1.0 FTE)
This position works under the supervision of the Campus Engagement Librarian. The position provides promotion, communication, and design support for Hannon Library and is heavily involved in the creation and dissemination of information. This position involves working collaboratively with all departments within the library and other campus departments. The position coordinates with the Campus Engagement Librarian to create marketing plans for various library needs and is responsible for creating original designs for print and digital promotional materials. The position also coordinates the activities related to the scheduling system and performs a variety of complex office/clerical support tasks. The ability to successfully interact with a diverse population is a must.
Minimum Classification Qualifications:
Two years of experience gathering information, writing and/or producing materials, and presenting materials to selected audiences; OR A Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communication, or a closely-related field.
● Bachelor's Degree.
● Adobe Suite including InDesign.
● Experience supervising entry-level workers.
● Experience with campus systems and programs such as scheduling systems and databases
● Experience working with event scheduling/planning.
● Experience in revising, updating and implementing procedures
● Experience interpreting and observing confidentiality restrictions.
● Experience with receiving and screening student worker applications, and processing student payroll
● Experience in Marketing
● Experience in Project Management
All Listed Duties:
Promotion and Communication: ● Coordinate promotional program elements in support of the library.
● Utilize knowledge of library core values (such as information literacy, access, and service) in order to implement the library's strategic plan and spread awareness.
● Support the Campus Engagement Librarian in efforts to develop and implement a library marketing plan and inform campus constituents about library events and services.
● Develop effective communication strategies and create high-impact publications and products.
● Promote specific collections, services, events, and programs that showcase the library to students, staff, faculty, and community members.
● Cultivate content, create and distribute library news, events, policies, and procedures through library newsletter, social media, blog posts, or other outlets.
● Serve as the main point of contact to campus groups who want to add content to library display monitors.
● Regularly meet with all library departments to determine promotional needs and distribute information.
Design: ● Design original digital graphics and logos using professional software, such as the Adobe Suite, for library events and general promotion, including social media graphics, digital monitor displays, mailers, flyers, and other print and digital collateral.
● Record and edit videos and still images of events and displays as needed.
● Adhere to and ensure ADA requirements are met for all promotional material. Includes closed-captioning video content and screen reader web accessibility.
● Ensure all created promotional material is consistent with approved SOU and library branding.
Library Administrative Program Support: ● Coordinate event services in the library, which includes tracking meeting room requests and scheduling events in the Event Management System (EMS) for both internal and off-campus groups.
● Manage Hannon Library calendar of events and strategically coordinate Meese Room setups with Facilities Management and Planning (FMP).
● Ensure compliance with SOU and library facilities usage policies.
● Monitor events as necessary and regularly report the condition of meeting spaces to the Building Manager after use.
● Coordinate with Web & Discovery Librarian to maintain up-to-date information regarding scheduling and events on the Hannon Library website.
Library Administrative Program Support:
● Develop detailed annual reports to show which events and promotional efforts have been most successful in terms of the library's strategic plan.
● Liaise with the Friends of Hannon Library (FHL) Board and attend regular FHL Board meetings.
● Assist the FHL Board in aligning with the library's strategic plan by promoting, scheduling, facilitating, and recording FHL sponsored events, such as guest speaker lectures and/or webinars.
● Support FHL membership by mailing renewal notices, thank yous, and fielding new member account questions.
● Assist with the promotion and coordination of library book sales.
● Collaborate with library staff and faculty on in-house building signage and displays.
● Hire, train, and supervise student employees to assist with promotion/communication and library events-related tasks.
● Serve on various SOU and library committees and work groups.
Other duties as assigned:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
Must be able to work additional hours and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
Under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): -Position classifications defined as
SOU provides career-focused, comprehensive educational experiences to over 6,200 students. Along with an emphasis on student success and intellectual growth, SOU is committed to diversity, inclusion and sustainability. Theoretical and experiential learning programs provide quality, innovative experiences for students. At SOU, students build strong community connections through internships, mentorships, field studies, capstone projects, volunteer opportunities and civic engagement.
ONA's programs are supported by an array of premiere foundations and leaders in journalism and technology. Explore the database and you'll discover new tools, educational opportunities, potential partners and more.