Within this portal you'll find hundreds of career opportunities. We offer free access to all job seekers in the journalism community, member and non-members, including confidential resume posting, career-related content and multiple ways to search for jobs.
Pathology Communications in the Department of Pathology, Michigan Medicine, is seeking a Communication Specialist who possesses digital graphic design and layout experience, photography, and strong verbal and written communication skills to support the needs of the Department. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated individual with strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and work independently to produce a timely and high-quality product. The ability to work well with a team and anticipate needs based on scheduled work is important. The ideal candidate is also able to give and receive constructive feedback on work products to enhance the quality of the end product. In addition, this individual must be professional and possess discretion as working with faculty and staff at all levels in various medical settings with exposure to sensitive and confidential information occurs frequently.
• Support department web needs including content creation, management, and updates of external facing websites and development and maintenance of the department’s intranet in collaboration with Pathology Informatics and the Michigan Medicine Department of Communications
• Identify new marketing opportunities to reach and engage students, faculty, and staff, such as podcasts, blog posts, and user generated video, utilizing the resources of Michigan Medicine Department of Communications and other internal and external sources.
• Assess and determine department communication and marketing needs and make appropriate recommendations based on overall strategies.
• Design engaging, effective, and collaboratively driven digital and print communication materials across multiple forms of media, such as print, web, PowerPoint, and social media.
• Write, edit, and coordinate content for social media, websites, email campaigns, newsletters, event communications, presentations, publications and reports.
• Enhance and maintain the social media presence for the Department of Pathology, following institutional best practices and guidelines.
• Participate in the basic science community of practice for peer networking, opportunities for cross promotion and to identify best practices for communication projects.
• Manage pathology’s digital media assets adhering to U-M, and Michigan Medicine brand standards.
• Foster internal communication that aligns and reflects Pathologies values to faculty, students, postdocs, and staff.
• Provide backup photographic support for forensic photographer.
• Support internal and external events including photography and social media coverage.
• Bachelor's degree in related field OR equivalent combination of education and experience. • At least 3-5 years of relevant work experience in communications. • Excellent oral and written communication skills, including drafting original content for blogs, newsletters, news releases, web pages, social media posts, publications, presentations, etc. • Experience in web strategy, content creation, analysis, and maintenance. • Demonstrated knowledge and use of current social media platforms and trends. • Enjoy providing exceptional customer service, including being professional, flexible, resourceful, empathetic, and positive. • Attention to detail, intellectual curiosity, a collaborative working style, and flexibility involving having work edited by stakeholders. • Excellent project management, organizational, analytical, creative, and critical thinking skills. • Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, take the initiative, and work effectively under tight deadlines and changing project requirements. • Proficiency with industry-standard design concepts and software including, but not limited to, Adobe Creative Cloud including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Canva, and Microsoft Suite including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Publisher. • Strong team player, commitment to problem solving and continuous improvement. Ability to work well in a diverse and collaborative environment.
• Familiarity with communications around health care and basic science environments, physicians, learners, and clinical and research laboratory personnel. • Experience using Drupal or similar platforms for website management and maintenance. • Experience with social media software, such as TweetDeck and MegaBusiness for Facebook and Instagram. • Experience using Google analytics or other reporting applications. • Experience with email marking platforms such as Constant Contact or Mailchimp.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.
ONA's programs are supported by an array of premiere foundations and leaders in journalism and technology. Explore the database and you'll discover new tools, educational opportunities, potential partners and more.