Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon University is searching for an Associate Director of Media Relations. This individual is an experienced press relations professional and storyteller who will promote the Tepper School as a vital collaborator in a fast-paced marketing and communications unit. It is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in an exciting and challenging work environment.
The Associate Director of Media Relations is an experienced press relations professional who promotes the Tepper School of Business through the researching, writing, editing, and pitching of news in the form of press releases, feature articles, and other communications materials. The individual in this role is an excellent writer and storyteller who effectively leverages opportunities to amplify the Tepper School's research, programs, and initiatives in the news media. The role provides communication consultation to internal departments and leadership. It is responsible for the tracking and analysis of communication metrics.
Forward-thinkers. Future dreamers. Problem-solvers. Collaborators. We are the Tepper School of Business, where human intelligence unlocks the power of data. The Tepper School of Business lives at the heart of Carnegie Mellon University, guided by a mission to transform the world through innovation at the intersection of business, technology, and analytics. We prepare students for The Intelligent Future through a business school experience tailored for the complexities of a changing marketplace.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Write and edit press releases, news feature articles, newsletters, and other promotional materials
- Regularly interact with Tepper School of Business subject matter experts, faculty members, and leadership to develop news pitches based on research findings, thought leadership, new academic programs, and other topics
- Maintain relationships with reporters and editors at news outlets and publications, bringing to bear opportunities in editorial calendars and the news cycle
- Respond to media requests for information and access to subject matter experts
- Liaise with other media relations officers across the university as appropriate; serve as point person for crisis communications within the Tepper School
- Provide public relations guidance to faculty members and leadership
- Use media tracking software to develop and distribute monthly media reports and media campaign reports
- Write additional communications materials such as social media posts, web content, video and podcast summaries, photo captions, and presentations as needed
- Coordinate interviews, photography and video shoots, podcasts, media training, press events, and other planning as needed
- Performs various administrative functions and other duties in support of department operations as assigned
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the Tepper School of Business. Inclusion, collaboration, and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at Carnegie Mellon University. Therefore, we are searching for a team member who will interact effectively with a diverse population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Strong writing and editorial skills; experience with AP Style
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to work independently and carry out assignments without detailed instructions
- Ability to balance multiple, time-sensitive projects and changing deadlines with integrity
- Bachelor's degree required; ideal for degree in English, communications, journalism, professional writing, public relations, technical writing, or a related field
- 5-8 years of experience in media relations, communications, journalism, broadcast media, or a related field.
- Experience in media relations in higher education
- Experience with media tracking software (such as Cision or Meltwater)
- Successful background check
Interested in this exciting opportunity? Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance